5 “Exact” attempts to do the same !!!

I chose to do a frame, because I love photography and art in general, and also because I found that to be really complicated, so I thought I would learn a lot, even if I didn’t make the “best” pancake at my first try. As an artist, you often have to produce an exhibition without a good budget, and it’s god to have resources to be able to achieve a solution for this problem. It’s also important to lear how to create a workflow that optimize time, money and also offer you flexibility in the process. Another important point is that you need to understand how frames, so you can think about the design of the frames in a more complex design (even if you don’t make them).

“YOU DON’T MAKE FRAMES WITH THE TOOLS OF THE WOOD SHOP AT ITP” It’s actually great advice what Ben Light said. I always believe what he says and look forward to apply all the knowledge he shares with us. But I decided to do it, not to probe him wrong, but as an exercise to try to organize the process in the bestsellers possible way, as stated before. And I also wanted to learn how to use the different tools from the workshop.

The process:

I made a simple sketch, based on a cheap little frame for pictures.

Then started to get the materials. I followed the next steps:

1) Learned how to use Router.

2) decided the size of the frame (I chose to chose a square size for a picture of 14 cm, instead of a rectangular format) This way I could optimize material, make process faster, and also have more exotic frames). 

 

    3) I routed de material. (before I cut it so I could have a decent and comfortable size for routing, but also an efficient one)
    4) I cuted the material in smaller sizes so I could do the cuts in the rounded blade cutting machine. In the process I managed to cut a couple of 45 degree angles that would fit ok, so I could compare all the cuts to those, making the process more efficient and accurate as possible, considering the tools I chose.
    5) I sanded a lot more material than I would actually needed, so I could have more options of wood that were closer to “right 45 degree angles”. I got close
    6) Glued and assembling the frames. (I wasn’t able to do it on time for class. I got to the point of having the materials ready to do it, but my time runned out.
    7) Filling the gaps of the angles, sanding and painting the frames.
    Conclusions:
    I could have tried also to use the square framing with holes on the sides and with a proper screw system. (Something I will try soon)
    I worked many hours but could not get the work done. I think i will have them ready sometime soon, but the important part was really learning how to work with the tools in the best possible way, but more important than that, was that I think I managed to make a good process even without finishing. But “don’t Blame the tools, blame the carpenter”. I’m not as efficient as I might become if a continue learning.
    I learned how it is really possible and necessary to be able to change the design and adapt it during the fabrication process. In this case the format of the frame and also changing some of the final components that I would use. (glass for plexiglass, mdd for cardboard, and plastic, for some plastic pieces for motors that I found.  Improving the efficiency and functionality of the frames.
    Things to improve: Finding a way to complete the product in the deadline. Be more adaptable and open  to other times of solution that would have allowed me to have them on time.
    I continue to aprecciaite the hard and accurate  labor of the framers and carpenters, they are genius!!!
    I hope I can soon have them ready, so I can post a picture of one of them with a nice picture on them!

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *